A high-quality window tint can provide several game-changing benefits to any car owner. Whether you’re looking for a sleek new look, a better way to keep your car cool in the hot summer months, or to protect your valuable interior from sun damage, a professional installation will prove its value right off the bat. A few of our favorite benefits include:
- Heat Protection: Window tint is designed to block the infrared radiation responsible for solar heat. This helps keep your car cool and comfortable while also being an energy-saving benefit since you won’t have to run your AC as much.
- Blocking UV Rays: Harmful UV rays can have multiple negative effects on your car’s passengers and interiors. For one, UV can cause sunburns and skin cancer to those inside the vehicle. It can also impact your car’s upholstery and interior surfaces, causing them to fade, crack, or warp. With window tints designed to block UV, you and your car will be better protected from sun damage.
- Glare Reduction: Driving directly toward the sun can reduce visibility by a dangerous degree. A glare-rejecting film can work like sunglasses for your car, helping block glare and improving visibility.
- Improved Cosmetics: Getting your car’s windows tinted can give it a sleek and eye-catching new look, and this aesthetic appeal is one big reason why window tinting is so popular.
- Increased Privacy: A car tint will make it more difficult for outside observers to see inside your car, offering you and your passengers increased privacy.
With so many different shades and options to choose from, picking the right tint can be confusing. How do you know what meets your legal requirements AND provides all your window tinting wants and needs? The Tint Guy is here to help with quality window film and advice on which is right for you.
Automotive window tinting is measured by VLT% or visible light transmission percentage. VLT% measures the amount of visible light that passes through a material or surface. The lower your go, the less visible light passes through the window and the “darker” the shade. For example, a window film with 40% VLT will allow 40% of light to pass through while blocking the remaining 60%.
Window Tinting Laws
Every state has different laws that control the minimum VLT% allowed on each type of vehicle and each window, so be sure to check out your state’s regulations. For in-depth information on Georgia’s laws visit our article, but as a general overview, here are Georgia’s guidelines:
- All Vehicles: A windshield tint is considered illegal except for a non-reflective tint on the top 6 inches
- Passenger Vehicles:
- Front Door Windows: Minimum of 32% VLT
- Back Door Windows: Minimum of 32% VLT
- Back Windshield: Minimum of 32% VLT
- Multi-Purpose Vehicles:
- Front Door Windows: Minimum of 32% VLT
- Back Door Windows: No Limit
- Back Windshield: No Limit
Choosing the Right Shade
Once you have a better understanding of the limits set by your state laws, you can start looking at your available options and make a decision on which is right for your visual preference.
How to Find an Effective Film
Many people have the misconception that the “darkness” of your window tint will correlate with the film’s ability to block heat, UV, and glare, and that is actually not the case.
The most effective window films block both UV rays and infrared rays. These are what cause sun damage and heat in your car. A high-quality, advanced window film will be able to successfully reject these harmful rays without having a major impact on the natural light transmission and visual appearance of your car.
A lot of drivers are interested in window tinting services that provide the darkest legal tint for the appearance of dark windows and the privacy it offers. In Georgia, many window treatment services, including The Tint Guy, will offer a 35 tint to meet these needs. With a 35 tint, your vehicle’s windows will be visibly darker, offering a sleek look and a high level of privacy.
A 50% tint is a common middle ground. Even with a 50% VLT, you can experience a higher level of privacy and achieve that sleek look many people are going for.
If you’re not interested in changing the overall aesthetic and darkness of your car, no problem. Many high-quality films use advanced technology that offers a lighter shade. With these films, you can experience all the benefits of heat rejection and glare reduction without altering the look of your car.
Debunking Window Film Myths
Now that you have a better understanding of auto window tinting shades and what option is best for your goals, we wanted to highlight some common misconceptions and myths in the window tinting industry.
Myth #1: Window Films are Purely Cosmetic
Window tint films can certainly give your vehicle an eye-catching new look, and this is a big reason why they are so popular. However, this isn’t the only purpose that window films serve, and they can be as practical as they are attractive. Blocking UV radiation, keeping your vehicle cooler and reducing energy costs, and reducing the glare on your front window are just a few of the benefits proving that window films aren’t just for looks alone!
Myth #2: The Darkest Window Films Are the Most Effective
As mentioned above, the darkness of your film doesn’t always correlate with the ability to reduce glare, heat, and harmful UV rays. Many advanced options on today’s market are designed to enhance your view by allowing visible light into your vehicle while keeping heat out, so you can see clearly through your windows — and maintain your vehicle’s original appearance. A high-quality automotive window film can change the appearance of your windows but it doesn’t have to.
Myth #3: Window Tint is Illegal
Again, this depends on the shade and reflection of your window tint along with the laws of your state. We’ve already discussed Georgia’s laws regarding window tint light transmission. As long as your car’s window tint falls within these parameters, you don’t have to worry about breaking any regulations.
Myth #4: Window Film Will Lower the Resell Value of My Car
It’s true that many aftermarket modifications will actually lower the resale value of a car rather than boost it. Window tinting, however, is one of the few exceptions. As long as it’s a high-quality film that is properly installed by professionals, window film can make your vehicle more appealing to many prospective buyers and actually increase its resell value.
The Tint Guy: Atlanta’s Go-To Window Tinting Solution
At The Tint Guy, we are proud to be the premier choice for window tinting in Atlanta, GA, and the surrounding area. With over 36 years of experience in the professional window tinting business, we are experts at helping drivers choose and install the perfect window film for their vehicles.
Whether you need more assistance choosing the right tint, are interested in our paint protection options, or already know exactly what you want, the window tinting professionals at The Tint Guy are able to help! For help deciding which tint is the best choice for your vehicle or to learn more about our professional home and business services, be sure to contact us today!